Thursday, May 24, 2007

Committment and Spoilage

Our readers are so precious. We have new ones walk in every day that we are working at the church so that they can make appts. We each have 5-7 readers, most of them come every day. So we have full reading schedules and are getting great time with each reader. They are so incredibly eager to meet with us. Some of them travel 2 hours by bus to get to the church. One of my readers works 8-8 and cant make during our reading times so she is using her vacation time for our meetings. What committment! They are so friendly and loving. We are being well taken care of.

We even have our own special alarm clock. About 5 am each day, there is a rooster outside our window that begins helping us wake up. Some days he just goes on for a little while, other days he goes on for hours because other roosters down the street are answering him. We have no idea what they are talking about but it better be how to escape because we are going to introduce him to the ax soon!

Have I told you about our cook! Yes, I said cook. Her son is a member of Lucyana church and she is cooking for us in her home which is located between our house and the church where we work each day. She cooks traditional Peruvian food and it is really delicious! We are eating more than we do at home since she makes us a large meal for lunch and dinner each day. And it costs us less than $2/person/meal. Patrick, I am coming home spoiled. Consider this your warning! Someone tell Kyle Graham that we had ceviche for our appetizer at lunch today. Yummy! Will Spoon, cant wait to talk recipes with you.

We are on our lunch break now. We had our meal and stopped by the internet cafe on the way back to work. We all have full schedules this afternoon and a Bible study with the church tonight. Our stomachs are bothering us today. Please join us in praying that God will block the tiny germs that are attacking us!

We miss you all. Dios te bendiga. (God bless you)

5 comments:

Will said...

I so curious what your schedule is on a typical day, I know you rise with the roosters!

I think the Rooster is saying, "Hey! The American's are still here let's wake these foreigners up!" Only in the traditional Peruvian Rooster tongue/beak.

How exciting that you are getting such a tremendous turnout for your reading scheduls.

Hope the tummy trouble settles down for you: are you using bottled water to brush your teeth? Remember the running water is not filtered and if you rinse your brush in the tap you are "drinking" the water.

I'm excited about the recipes too, let's have a Peru Grazing Days!

Anonymous said...

YEA! i'm so happy you have a great turnout! What an answer to prayer. And I'm glad to see that Erin is getting out of bed early during her summer break :) Does she read this much during the year at school?
I'm jealous of your cook...does she travel abroad? I could learn to like Peruvian cuisine. Make sure your cook has a good recipe for rooster before you use the ax!!! donca-shu-welcome in advance.

Love you,
KK

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're getting off to a great start. I'd like to hear more about your readers and about the house where you are staying. Picturing it all makes me wish I could be there with you. You are in my thoughts often.

I'm glad that everyone is making you feel welcome. How great is it to have a cook?! What a precious, giving woman! She must really free up your time to do your work and get the rest you need.

Have a great weekend!

Fran & Karen said...

Hey does the cook travel - bring her home with you guys! We'll just pass her around amongst us all. :) Jamie, I bet you're up before the roosters, aren't you?

Have ya'll been doing any singin?

Has Erin's Spanish expertise kept you all out of trouble or gotten you into something or somewhere it shouldn't have??? You go Erin.

Hope everyone is feeling well. Praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having way more fun there than we are here in T-town!
Excuse me...did you say a cook? WHAT? I'll be Erin is happy that she doesn't have to cook one night a week like when she's at home! Tell her the Maynard's now have a "Kids cook night" every Thursday. Maribeth is thrilled! ha. Speaking of Maribeth, she misses her Erin buddy. We're praying for you every day and your readers, too. Can't wait to hear all the stories and see all the pictures. Love you. Kelli