I've never cried so much before a trip! Every year, our enemy throws something at me to try to get me to stay home. In 2004, it was my children. In 2005, it was my dad's health; he was still in the hospital after emergency heart surgery (and darn near losing him) just 2 weeks before my departure date. This year, it has simply been the heartbreaking idea of leaving my family and job that I love for 42 days. I thought with Erin now traveling with me, that would be better and it is. But, thanks to my friend and office roomate who shall remain nameless (Fran!)and her acccomplices, the faucet has been turned on.
I was fine on Sunday as our team was called to the front of the church and prayed over by the elders. I was fine with all the goodbyes, blessings, promises of prayer, and hugs. I was even fine during the video of graduating seniors because none of them live in my house. On the way home, I opened the big manila envelope that (Fran) gave me, saw what so many of you have done, and totally lost it. I'm not very easy to surprise (but getting more so as I get more clueless with age) and it freaks me out a bit in a good way when things have been going on behind my back. In this envelope were cards. Wait, not just cards, but lots of cards. At least one for every single day I am away. Crying now, again. And, there is an envelope for every member of the team, even the latecomer! It is 5 am and I have already looked at the ones dated today. Cried through them all. Some anonymous person even shared a quote from Elvis. No, it had nothing to do with "burning love". I know that some of these cards are from church staff, elders and their wives. No idea who else might be lurking in that huge stack of love.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you for your elaborate show of love and support to this team of weak, weak people just trying to keep up with all the blessings He showers on us through you.
Gotta grab perhaps my last real shower and make a flight. Next time you read, I'll be posting from Lima.
(Fran) promises that more surprises await. Bring on the kleenex.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Tears
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OK, so I have a soft spot in my heart for missions anyway, but here I am in tears, too, knowing how blessed the people of Lima are to have the 4 of you there! May God prepare their hearts, and may your readers fall in love with Jesus! I am excited to hear your stories!! Much love, Stacey Parker
Get some sleep! that always helps tear ducts clear out!!! i know from experience :) Also, remember...we love you! Hope your trip was great and safe. Tell Erin hi and to stay out of the cafes!
KK
And to think it all started with a dream! I forgot to sign all of my notes, I actually didn't write a single thing (well there is one "thing" I wrote on in my notes) just things I came across that said, "This is Jamie!" We miss you already, but have totally converted your desk into a coffee and snack station (Kent didn't want his desk to be a coffee bar--baby!).
Can't wait to hear about your trip and all of the adventures that you can't talk about until you get back to the West End and spill the beans.
Post a Comment