Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Joshua

I want to give you an update on a few readers so that you can know how to pray. I´ll start with my Miguel that hears the voices in his head. He did not show up for his appt´s at the end of last week. Our readers have no way to call us so don´t know if he tried but I am certain that he would not miss unless it was something very important. Please pray that he will return. His English is good enough that I can speak to him like I would to any of you so we get to have some interesting, deep discussions.

Marie´s reader, Percy, got a new job and did not have time to travel all the way to us to read. He was planning to read with the LST team at El Olivar church but is not able to do even that right now. He is very interested in more Bible study and in becoming a follower of Jesus. Please pray against the enemy´s schemes to keep him away from God´s people and the Word.

Now, let´s talk about my reader Josue´(pronounced ho-sway). In English his name is Joshua. His English is also excellent. I can speak at my normal speed, which most of you know isreallyfast. This is his fifth year to be an LST reader. Pretty interesting choice for someone who is ¨not interested in becoming a believer¨, as he first told me. Because of his language capability and his knowledge of the Bible, he is the reader I am able to get into the deepest discussions with. Throughout the course of the last month, we have finished a review of Luke and have begun studying Acts. He has expressed his frustration with those people who can believe easily. He wants to but ¨has no faith¨. His parents and a sister are Christians who he has watched for all of his 34 years. He says they have absolutely no control over their anger and have shouting, ugly arguments every single day. He says that he acts better than they do so why would he need to be a follower of Jesus if it does not affect your behavior? How convicting! I have to wonder how many times my behavior in front of others has led them farther away from Jesus instead of closer to Him? Ugh. Right through the heart with that one! He also says that his parents have told him that they pray to God for Him to change their behavior but God never comes through on that one. We talked at length about how it is easy to ask for change but an entirely different matter to let Him in to make the changes. We are so comfortable and familiar with our ugliness that it is easier to stay where we are than to allow Him to take us closer to maturity. I know there have been many times that I ask God for change in myself when what I really want Him to do is to change everyone around me so that they think my bad behavior is ¨cute¨or ¨charming¨. How ridiculous! I shared with him some times when I have truly been broken about something and allowed God to come in and ¨fix¨it. I continually pray that God will speak His words and truth through my mouth, that not one of my own ideas will come through. Josue´comes everyday at 3 pm. Would you join me in that prayer?

My sweet 18 year old Melissa attends a Christian church here in Lima. They have ¨prophets¨so I´m quite certain it is not a cofc! She made a promise to God when she was baptized 3 years ago, that she would pray 1 hour each day and she has never missed, even if it is late at night. Her mother was hit by a bus last week. I know that sounds like a joke but not here! The warnings that ¨there are no such things as pedestrian rights¨here in South America are completely true! The same bus stopped, picked her up, and took her to the hospital. She must rest for 2 months so Melissa gets up at 5:30, is on the bus to the English institute by 6:15, comes to see me at 10, then goes home to do all the cleaning, laundry, and cooking as well as help with her 4 year old nephew who lives with them. Her father is not living with them and her sister works all the time, so Melissa is it. Please pray for her mother´s healing and for strength and energy for Melissa as she serves her family. Doesn´t sound much like our American kids, huh?

Sorry for all the serious stuff today but thought you´d like to know what we talk about with our readers and a little about their lives. I promise to write about the zoo and the lion experience tomorrow. I can´t send any pictures to Will at the moment because this internet place won´t use my software. Maybe over the weekend when we use a different place.......

2 comments:

Will said...

While I have never done what you do the sentiments that I felt as you shared your heart are the same as the sentiments that I pour out to the Lord, "I wish I could see harvest." Working with children doesn't really afford me the harvest much, mostly the planting, but every now and then God shows me the harvest and I keep going.

Your work with these wonderful people in planting the seeds will result in a great harvest and I hope you are able to see them, if not then you will have some great homecomings in heaven.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking, as I read about Joshua, that I wouldn't be very good at knowing what to say to him or have answers to his questions. I'm SO glad that God is helping YOU know what to say. I know you have been a huge blessing to him, and I'm sure because of you his heart is a few steps closer to believing. God is working!
Yay for Chili's! Cheesecake Factory here is well underway! We'll take the girls there before school starts. Love you and miss you.