Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What Is Keeping You....?

I know you are praying so here is an update on my session with Josue yesterday. We read the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. We discussed the story itself and then I told him that I must ask him a hard question because it is so important to the text. I had him read the eunuchs words "What is keeping me from being baptized?" and then asked him to answer the question for himself. His first answer was "God is so powerful". I asked if he was afraid of God and he said yes. Then he said that God must be so busy with the problems all over the world. I said, "Do you mean that He is so busy with the rest of the world that He has no time for Josue in Lima?". Yes. I looked him dead in the eyes, made sure I had his attentiion and told him that was an absolute lie that he is believing. We looked at stories from the Word that demonstrate Gods love for us, stories that he is familiar with: leaving the 99 to search for the one, prodigal son, etc. Then we started talking about the sacrifice of Jesus that God made for him. I pointed to Erin and reminded Josue of our conversation when I said I would die for her. We took it a little further when I asked him if he thought I would let her die for him. He said no. Then I asked, "Okay, what if you were a horrible, evil person who had done terrible things to my family and hated us. Would I let her die for you then?" He said no way, then we talked about God doing that very thing and that He would have done it even if Josue was the only one who needed it. He was silent for a long time then told me that what God did was "unfair", especially to Jesus. Yes, it was! He said that we dont deserve that kind of treatment. No, we dont! He is overwhelmed with the idea of that kind of love (arent we all?) and said he cant accept that kind of love for himself...today. At our session this afternoon, we will talk about Cornelius and tomorrow we finish Acts. Our last session on Thurs, we will just talk and I will alk again. PRAY! Please go to battle for this lost soul.

Sorry for the long, detailed conversation replay but everytime one of them gets His message, so do we all. And I dont want you to miss it!

2 comments:

Will said...

That's the most amazing story. I will be praying for him to accept the gift that is being offered.

WOW! Good story.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for God to give you just the right words for him to hear. Aren't these the conversations that make all the sacrifices worth it?

I will be praying that you can make the progress you feel you need to make with all of your readers this week. I remember how much I wanted to see my family at this point, but how much work I felt I had left to do. I'll be praying for you to have peace that you have done what God sent you to do and that your readers will be well taken care of by the church after you leave.

Love you,

Deborah