No, I haven´t replaced my animosity for the rooster with another animal. One of my readers, Miguel ( a different one than the Miguel who hears the voices, this one is 30 years old and owns a pharmacy) says this everytime he opens his Spanish-English dictionary. I finally humbled myself and told him that I had no idea what that meant. He says it is a saying here that means when you open a dictionary you are ¨killing¨the ignorance and stubborness in yourself. They also refer to the dictionary and other learning tools as ¨donkey killers¨.
Let´s talk about those roosters a minute. When we climbed up to the 3rd floor roof of the house to hang our laundry, we could see into the courtyard of the place that has the animals. There are actually 2 roosters. They have very different voices, one is very high, the other really low. They will forever after be referred to in this blog as Barry Gibb(BG) and Barry White (BW). In the early morning, in our dark rooms, in our warm beds, we can hear them harmonizing, answering each other. I´m getting rather attached.
I promised to tell you about the work. We were discussing in our team devotional yesterday how we have all crossed a line. We now know that when it´s time to come home (which can´t happen soon enough!), we will desperately miss these people and this culture. We still miss home and family like crazy but feel loved and wanted here. Just like every other year, I cry when I leave home, and I´ll cry when I leave here!
Here are some stats from our first 3 weeks:
50 readers
almost 150 hours of reading sessions from Luke or Acts
25-30 attending our Sunday afternoon parties
It´s going great!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok, I love that phrase. Unfortunatly for me I have a whole herd of donkey's alive and well. I should get on my killing clothes, huh? What would one wear to kill a donkey?
Well, Will can say "kill the donkey" every time he goes to Wikipedia because he's NOT going to crack open a dictionary.
I love hearing the statistics. Sounds very successful. I guess you guys have permanent missionaries over there to carry on this work??
The roosters...Lima sounds like NYC during the revolutionary period in America. They don't have swine as well do they??
Post a Comment